Saturday, October 27, 2012

Klarissa Belle

Life can change at such incredible speed. Some days it seems one rush after another comes in unrelenting waves. One moment all is serene and expected. The next, tumult erupts, the earth shifts, normal fades, light shatters, and you stand in a stark place of an unknown reality. Such was the start of my day yesterday. One moment I was talking with a homeowner discussing his new well location, the next I was holding him prone on the ground, watching in horror as his body stilled and his breathing died away. I wondered that I was here, two strangers sharing a moment unexpected, unexplained, uncertain. I called his name, listened for the beating of his heart, but all to no avail. What was I beholden too? Why was I here? Calling on a source of omniscience that would be silent to my questions, sending me back to simple faith. Suddenly his breath caught, and I went into first aid mode. As the EMT's pulled away, I was grateful that for me the moment had passed, the burden of what this would bring a suffering family remained behind, but he was in better hands than mine. The day would prove he would survive, but many unknowns linger still. More tragic news careened into my life within the hour. I thought this day could not end well. In those moments where visibility is low, and fog is dense, my pace slows but I gingerly edge forward. Upon arriving at home, after evening plans went askew, I was sitting at the table working on a project, my phone flashed and a message appeared reading: Robinson Louis "good news", before I could respond another message blinked on the screen, "guess what". A flood of thoughts flew through my mind, but the most promising unexpected one was that their baby was on it's way. In truth, she was already here! Arriving in desperate Haiti at 8:44pm was a beautiful baby girl. An orphan boy's long dream had become reality, now a man, and now a father, defying all odds, following God's plan, he was receiving another reward of life. They were receiving the gift of a lifetime, a new package of joy to share with the world. As I chatted with him on the phone, another gift sprung forth. He asked us to name their baby! It was girl heaven at our house last night! As the circle of God's life would have it, Klarissa Belle received the name Beth and I had chosen to name our second girl. It means "bright shining, gentle, lovely one" and in the picture here, there is no doubt! This is our second time to name a Haitian baby, but our first is already in Heaven, lost in the earthquake almost three years ago. There is redemption here, a precious and generous gift that only God can give. We have some great plans for this trip, but I have a feeling some will be usurped by a baby who will only be 4 days old when we arrive! This is a huge answer to prayer for us. Naromie has suffered miscarriages, and as a couple they were told they could not have children. They had taken on an orphan baby boy in December of 2010, and have done a remarkable job with little "BooBoo". We have been so concerned as Haiti is a country cruel to pregnant mothers, and cruel to it's children. BooBoo's mother passed away in childbirth. As the days have worn on here at the end, Naromie was well past her due date. They had set plans to try inducing labor. But in Haiti, that is a scary task, and while weather prevented the doctor from getting to them, I now believe it was a plan much bigger than that. Something set in order by God through the prayers going up on their behalf the last 9 months. A natural birth was in order, the baby came quickly, and both mother and daughter are doing exceedingly well for now. Destiny has been put on notice, a force of life to be reckoned with has enter this world! We are delighted to watch and see what will become of this incredible life force! Thank you to all who have stood beside us in this vigil. In three days we will again be wheels down in Haiti with a brave and noble team of 13! Pray for effective ministry and aid to flow through us to these deserving people. With hearts full of thanksgiving and sending blessings to all, we go!
 

4 comments:

Lee Grant said...

Welcome to the world, Klarissa Belle, we surround you with love and prayers! Your Keswick family holds you and your mom and dad in their hearts. Soon Doyle & Beth and the team will once again be with you and in that way we will be with you too. May our wonderful, awesome, powerful, loving God be with you all. With love, the Grant's

meelee said...

Welcome to the world, Klarissa Belle, we surround you with love and prayers! Your Keswick family holds you and your mom and dad in their hearts. Soon Doyle & Beth and the team will once again be with you and in that way we will be with you too. May our wonderful, awesome, powerful, loving God be with you all. With love, the Grant's

Anonymous said...

I was reminded of these lyrics as Hurricane Sandy passed Haiti, your customer brushed with death, and Klarissa arrived:

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm

In Christ alone, who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless Babe
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones He came to save

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From a life's first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny

So on to Haiti we go. Ambassadors of the Great King. What errands of mercy will we find ourselves on? What joys we will know? What sorrows will we feel? What difficult questions will our hearts ask? In Christ alone, we will find the answers we need, and in Christ alone, we will find peace for the answers for which we must wait.
Ethan

Jake T. said...

So excited for Pastor Rob and his wife on their new arrival. It is so amazing what God can and does do for those who are faithful. Godspeed on your travels to Haiti, we'll be keeping an eye on the blog and holding the team up in prayer daily.