Saturday, October 28, 2017

Curtain


As the curtain drops on day 6 of this trip, my mind feels a bit like jello. I studied pretty intently today between several meetings and trips around town. Robinson and I misunderstood a financial transaction between us early this morning which took us to the ship dock to sort out. Last night I began to feel like we wouldn’t see our trailers today, and tonight as I type away, they are still on the ship. We were down and checked in on the unloading process several times, and I never saw our rig or the trailers out on the dock. Our meeting this morning was about keeping our stuff safe while they clear customs, and there is one less day I have to worry about because tonight it is safely inside the ship. The grace of finding the important things to be grateful for when the hoped for plan does not come to fruition. I’m sitting at the dining room table in the kitchen of the mission house working on this post, Robinson is laying on the tile floor next to me drifting in and out of sleep. He is sleeping on a couple sheets and a thin quilt used as padding. He sleeps in front of the door that is the access to the house. If you’re going to get to us, you will need to clear him first. It always gets to me at certain moments, this giant of a man was once a discarded orphan boy. I had to talk straight to our orphan boys this trip, a couple of them have crossed into that age where every young person comes to, and I shared with them a couple details of his early years. It changed the tenor of the conversation. Not that they are being bad boys, they are just struggling with growing into their new ages. Robinson is a very gifted and discerning individual and is and inspiration to me every time I get the opportunity to be around him. He was up all night for the long night prayer service, he came in this morning early having already been to the dock to check on the ship, we turned around and went back down to get the paperwork started on our shipment and then plowed through our days activities and he never stopped. So now my 22 hours to get here is nothing compared to his 41 hours he has been awake taking care of his own church family, managing a big project at our new property, taking care of a team of ten Americans, and handling the details of getting his family back into town from the funeral of his wife’s grandma. Did I mention he is a busy guy. And yet he never lost his cool, he sweeps along effortlessly, gracefully, and lovingly among his culture. I would like to believe a bit of him is rubbing off on me. This morning I told him I was no longer concerned if I got to have the goods off the trailers before I left. I surrendered all the details up last night and was unwilling to miss the other poignant and needed moments of this trip. I am speaking from Psalm 33 in the morning. I’m going to speak on hope. In my message I make the point that all the free goods we have by way of clothing and shoes will likely be pretty much worn out in just a few months. The country is so harsh and hard on stuff. I didn’t even work excessively today but as I washed off in the shower tonight I could not help but notice the trial of dirty water headed to the drain. The stuff we do and bring is but momentary, what will bring peace and contentment for a lifetime? I Corinthians 13:13 reminds us that faith, hope, and love remain, the greatest is love. We do our best to bring all three. This is the biggest truth we bring, the greatest good we seed, and it stands in stark contrast to everything around us, in a culture hardened by years of aggressive poverty. I’m grateful for an orphan tonight, I’m grateful grace has erased his hardness, I’m grateful our lives have intersected. It’s a profound journey to be on. And I’m glad for all those connected with us on this incredible mission! Blessings from St. Marc!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post, Kel! I love you so much. Missing Bethie like seriously tonight! I miss her all the time....but especially tonight! Your posts every day keep me aware, praying, hoping, and loving each of you in the best ways I can from this far away. Thank you. I’m trying to take good care of Gram.....but she’s a handful! I can hardly keep up with her. She’s always got something in mind to do. She’s soaking up a lot of love and we are enjoying her immensely.
I’m proud of you all for surrendering to that which cannot be changed! For accepting what is. And for BEING the change you want to see in Haiti. You are each pure LOVE....and I am so happy I know you. (Well....I know most of you! ;)) There’s a lot going on here.....and we are taking it all one moment at a time. Being flexible. Choosing priorities. Being authentic. And trying to love ourselves and each other well. I pray for each one of you by name tonight.....that you would KNOW AND FEEL that you truly matter and are chosen.....for such a time as this. Right here. Right now. To be YOU! God expressed as YOU! Huge hugs and so much love. ������

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post Pastor. I see so often when we let go of anything, even a small expectation. God will move once our hands are off. Hopefully it will work this way with the shipment and if not oh well. He has a plan and Pastor Rob and his crew will take care of it when it does arrive. Praise God that He has such a great leadership team down their established. Love you all, continuing to pray! Jake T