Thursday, October 26, 2017

Resistant


Every time I come to Haiti it’s inevitable that folks ask if it’s better now? Having been coming here for 10 years, it’s a fair question. But it’s also such a loaded question to try to answer. Some aspects of things here have improved remarkably. Modes of transportation, specifically motorcycle taxi’s have increased at a rate I cannot even measure. Which means the general economy is up some as many are using the taxi’s. There seems to be more building going on which would also indicate some improvement. As I went over details at the property today our engineer expressed to me that he was building everything earthquake resistant. That caught my attention. The devastation of 2010 did apparently create some new sticking points for some. We stood by a church building not too far away from our church property and I asked the engineer what he thought of it, he said there were cracks in it from the earthquake, and nobody was taking care of it, and he didn’t think the building would be good for very much longer. I hadn’t even noticed the cracking. I didn’t think anything in St. Marc had suffered much damage, but apparently to the trained eye, it’s worse than previously thought. Enough so that he is taking measures to build even our fence walls in a way that will withstand those tremors. I was grateful to find this out. He is a really sharp man as I expressed in my blog yesterday. So, there are changes for the good. But as we drove to Desdunes today to deliver Rob’s family for a funeral Saturday, I was remiss to see that things elsewhere have actually depreciated. A positive is that they are getting good water supplies to the rice fields from the government. But passing down the dusty streets of Desdunes we navigated around so many piles of trash. The straw and mud homes are telling the testing of time and are not holding up. One we passed reminded me of the ‘Leaning Tower of Peza’. I’m not sure that a hefty wind and rain storm won’t finish it off. There were so many building projects unfinished with trees 5’ and 6’ tall growing up in the foundations. So many crushed dreams and vanquished hope’s. A few is one thing, to see so many lining the streets is heart rending. But we passed out candy to the children, we started with two, and told them to go get their friends, they came in droves, and they didn’t come in costumes, quite the opposite, they came with not much on at all. One naked boy approached and I went toward him with a bag of candy and coloring page, before I could get to him he turned and ran in terror. I felt bad because so many try to come back for second’s concealing in what sparse clothing they do have on what they already have received in their little gift pack, this little naked one couldn’t hide a thing, and went away with nothing. As we drove to another location in town we came through an intersection and coming down the street from my left was a crowd of children in a storm of dust from their pounding feet trying to keep up with us. As we pulled to a stop they came bounding up to us with expectant faces. I like to believe we sowed fresh hope into 250 children tonight. I’ve read what one pin drop of hope can do, and what it can grow into, I like to think we seeded at least a pin drop of unexpected hope into these children today. There are innumerable broken things in this country, and perhaps some things will never be fixed. Even as we drove to Desdunes today the driver finished his bottled drink, rolled down the window and pitched it out… but then again, I’ve seen that happen in the States, if it weren’t for bottle deposits, it would likely be worse. Humanity is kind of the same everywhere, just some places have better checks and balances. Of this I am confident, with each hug, with each touch, with each word of affirmation, change is coming. As we educate, love unconditionally, and give the hope of God to all, change hinges on these things. No amount of money can heal a broken heart. I believe only the loving heart can bring healing to the broken heart. The love of Christ constrains me to these people, as it does our wonderful team. Our newest recruit Pat is doing well, every time I ask how she is doing her answer is ‘I’m good’. Tomorrow will be halfway through our journey here; the time is passing faster here every trip I take now. At year ten, my veteran instincts must be taking over and time’s train seems to increase speed between stops. Goodnight to all and blessings from St. Marc.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark 14:58
“We heard him say, ‘I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and in three days I will build another, not made with hands.’”

This scripture came to mind after reading your post. Preparing the Haitian people for the coming rebuilt temple one hug, piece of candy, or affirmation at a time. I have seen with my own eyes the hope your presence brings. I tried to explain this to Pat when we chatted about Haiti. I will bet she understands more clearly now. It’s not what you build for them with your hands, it’s who you help place in their heart. With Christ’s love we will all rejoice one day whiter than snow in the presence of the almighty. Oh what a day that will be. Love you all, we will stay vigilant in prayer! Jake T

Unknown said...

Wow! What a day, my friends. Gram has been an absolute ray of light on a darkened day here. And many are brightly shining to her. Love is all that’s real....and that is very evident on a day like this. Neurologist with Doug today, and his meds are being increased. Dr B this afternoon just after hearing of the reality my kids are facing. Grateful. Deeply grateful. Knowing the struggles you are all bravely facing and navigating continues to inspire me to bravely face ours today. We are ALL in this together.....whether in Haiti, or stateside.....we belong to each other and share vision and purpose. To know the ONE! To love and be loved. To heal. To know and BE the reality we are created to be. As this day comes to a close, and I read this beautiful blog post.....I feel deep presence. Steady faith. Knowing. We are all being held. Who we are, and what we’re doing matters. I feel deeply connected to each of you and grateful this is not our home. We are each missionaries in a foreign land. Huge love and big hugs to every single one of you. ❤️��