Friday, October 27, 2017

Soul

In four simple words, I have missed Haiti. The last two days have been a beautiful reminder to me of how much my heart longs for this. And might I just add, sharing this trip with my three best friends is an indescribable blessing. That is also an understatement but the best I could come up with in my current state of delirious exhaustion. These three girls are unbelievably amazing and vary greatly in their different talents, personalities and gifting's but together make a perseverant and unstoppable trio whom I am honored to call my friends and sisters. Yesterday morning, our visit to the new church property was a highlight moment. You can feel God's presence at work already. Robinson immediately pointed out to me that not only had they hired men to work on the job site, but two women as well. And I'm not meaning light labor. These girls were carrying around rocks and mixing concrete like pros. It always makes me happy to see forward motion in our ministries provision of opportunities for women to care for themselves and their families. My eyes were immediately drawn to the three neighbor children across the way. I tossed lollipops across the large ditch that was dug between our properties and the kids went wild with excitement. We turned around only to discover 3 more children who had appeared seemingly from nowhere. And so it continued until our group of 3 had grown into more than 30. Caeli is of course the queen of games and activities and led the kids all over the property playing and running and dancing, not giving a second thought to how hot and tired she must have been. Abigail has a quiet and special presence that she offers freely and to anyone near her. The children who make it into her arms are wrapped in an understanding and love that only a person with the largest and most caring heart could possibly give. Emma walks around Haiti with a grace and fearlessness she has no idea she possesses. As soon as there is a need, no matter how small or inconsequential, she is there to make it happen followed with a smile, a hug and a whole lot of laughter. Watching these lovely ladies give all that they have without looking back to those kids was a beautiful sight indeed. A precious little boy around three years old, found his way into my arms and left an imprint on my heart that few have ever done. He was covered in dust and the red t-shirt that served as his outfit hung down around his ankles. As soon as I picked him up, he melted into my arms and laid his head down as though he had just been waiting for someone to give him a place to rest his weary, little soul. As I held him in the blistering heat with sweat literally dripping off of me, I took in my surroundings even more. It was gorgeous. The shrubbery looked green and luscious, climbing up the side of the mountain. But, there was no shade, there was only one house I could see from where I was at and then... nothing. Where did these little ones come from? Where do they rest when they are tired? Where do they go if they need help? Who takes care of them and loves them? Robinson announced that it was time to go and we started saying our goodbyes, my little friend still on my hip. I asked Rob if he was sure I couldn't take him home with me to which he replied, "It seems you have asked me this many times, especially in the last 5 years! I do not think the answer is different."....... I laughed but secretly mourned the fact that I knew he was right. I hugged and kissed this sweet child and went to set him down. He immediately locked his arms around my neck and clung to me with a fierceness that I could only admire from one so small. My heart broke, and I fought off tears as one of the older boys gently pried his tiny arms from around me. I smiled and waved and told him I loved him as I was the last person climbing onto the back of the Toyota. The children quickly dispersed as we started the long trek back to the main road. All except one, that is. My (yes, I did mean to refer to him as mine) precious boy started running after our vehicle as fast as his legs could take him, his long, red, t-shirt just short enough that he didn't trip. I thought that after the first hill, he would stop. But, oh no. This little one is a fighter and he proceeded to run for quarter of a mile with a determination I have rarely been witness to in this life. My heart broke. As we crested another hill and he stopped on the side of the road next to a small hut that I could only imagine was his home, I realized I didn't even know his name. What must a child feel like to be willing to go with a complete stranger whom they know nothing about? Literally, heart wrenching in my mind. My thoughts were consumed by this on our ride home and I was praying for him. Then I realized something. Maybe the best thing that could happen in this child's life is happening now. He has the second closest house to our church property. He and all of these other kids could be the future of CCC Haiti (see Facebook for a picture of some of them). God provided me with an astounding amount of peace in that moment. One of those rare times we are left questioning God's plans but He gives us a glimpse of the bigger picture. Tonight I am grateful beyond measure. I was planning on fitting more into this blog about all of the happenings on this grand adventure but it seems I will have to extend it into another blog if I am going to rest at all before the sun rises. Thank you for all of your prayers, support and encouragement. Much love from Haiti.


Krystle 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Favorite to date. Wow! Krystle. I feel like I was right with you. Thank you. I needed that this morning. I feel like I witnessed LOVE....transformative love this morning. The kind that doesn’t need explanation, and leaves us breathless, changed, and awakened. That little boy is you and me.....all of us really. Ugggggh. Filled with tears and faith, and hope and love. Good morning or evening.....whichever it is when you read this. I love you. Each precious one of you. ❤️🙏😘