Friday, January 27, 2012

Weddings, Baptisms, and Funerals (Krystle)

Greetings from Haiti! Things are going well. The guys have water at the well we have been working on. They still have a little more work but we will wait until the first of the week. When we got back from the job site yesterday we were so tired but Rob said okay I will be back in an hour to take you to the wedding! I was freaking out but we got some lunch and got around. I'm not gonna lie I was kind of annoyed that I wasn't given much time to get around and eat just to attend a wedding of someone I didn't know and had never met. We got there and I just prayed that God would take away my selfish thinking, after all this day was about the bride and not me! So as Kelly and I were sitting there a couple of men came in late and slid into the bench beside us. Anywhere we go we get looks from people and the same happened here, they didn't try to be inconspicuous or anything. Kelly and I were trying to pay attention to the service even though we didn't understand a word and we were only one hour into the two hours but the man next to us was a big distraction. He leaned over towards me and said "you speak no Creole?" so to be nice I replied quietly "no, we don't." "Oh!" he said, "then you don't understand anything being said!". Once again I replied "no", hoping he would take the hint I didn't want to talk. Well by then Kelly's protective instincts were coming out and he had scooted closer to me and put his arm around my shoulders. But that seemed to only make the man more curious and he said "Oh! You have baby!". I was completely confused and said " No, I do not have a baby". He didn't stop, "Oh! You are married!" he said pointing to Kelly. "No!" I said "He is my brother". Kelly's arm was suffocating me by now, but this guy would not be quiet! "Well," he said "You are very beautiful". Now the whole thing is completely awkward and this guys friend only makes it worse by leaning over to me and saying, "you are very niiiice!". At this point I'm completely speechless and try to just ignore the man, but he continues to pester us with questions about where we live and who our parents are and then tells me all about his wife and baby at home and how he is Jehovah's Witness. I looked up at Rob who was performing some of the wedding and he was giving the guy the evil eye, not that the man noticed because he was to busy talking. In the end Kelly got the guys number because he insisted on giving it and we got right out of there when the service was over. We told Rob everything that happened and he officially taught us how to say "shut up" in Creole! Haha! It was very funny! So to Neil Josza and John Bader don't freak out, Kelly is taking good care of me! We took the day off today to take care of some of our own things and just relax a bit. I think we realized today just how tired we are but we're doing okay. Rob had about 25 baptisms this afternoon, Kelly and I got to go with him. It was at the ocean and I was the official photographer! It was a really amazing experience! We have a funeral to attend bright and early in the morning so I'm out for tonight! Love and miss you all! Krystle

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kelly & Krystle, -very interesting posts -last 2- So proud of you for all your studying Creole as much as possible-that will really affect the children & others -big time. What a wonderful scene-the baptism must have been. Your dad's first trip in alone that's what he was helping Rob do-baptize. The weddings are so different-glad you were invited & that you-big brother did your job well-she's a treasure & you've always acted like it. So proud of you for the well work the Lord's helped you with! Amazing! Missing you both a lot & find ourselves talking about you often-to each other & to Jesus thruout day & when awake at night. Supposed to snow some tonight or tomorrow. Grandpa & I anticipating being with dad & mom here tomorrow early afternoon for dinner. Both of us doing better-his back & my infection. So-both of us taking it quite easy-not back at the Y yet. Glad you got to YWAM. Sorry -about 3 posts to you didn't go thru, but this should. Lots of promises in His Word -read faithfully, journal as you can -watch & pray. Loads of love, G&G P. XXXXXXXXXX000000000000 Prov. 3:5,6

neil said...

You just let me hear of anything going on and ill be down there in a heartbeat. I may be like a rabbit in a corner screaming but I bite and kick. I love and miss my two favorite pals.
neil

Jake Thomas said...

Wow, you two are busy! Getting wells pumping,wedding, funerals, baptisms, what a whirlwind. Glad to hear Kelly is such a good protector. I just got a chance to FB chat with Kelly for a while, what a treat. It is nice to touch base and get some first hand info on the goings on of CCC Haiti. Things up here are going pretty well, Alaina has been feeling good most of the time. We are both very proud of the both of you. We will continue our prayers for you,and look forward to your next blog. GOd bless!

Anonymous said...

The title of this post makes my head spin! And I thought I was busy! LOL Krystle you've become an incredible young woman, I am not surprised that a man would hit on you, but its good you have earthly protection as well as spiritual! Kelly your ability to step up in Haiti shows what a wonderful man you are. I feel blessed to be a part of your journey through your posts. We want to facetime you we talked to ur dad& I think we can do it! We'll try this evening! Love u guys :) Niche

Anonymous said...

Whaaaaaaaaat! dont like that one. Good job kelly! You know you have to be on FULL ALERT after that one brother. Kystle I think; I know you stick out in a crowd be careful/say NO! alittle louder. I hear Kelly was takeing care an charge of the well work like it needs to be done' good man". I Hope you guys get some rest so you stay strong ok. love you guys John

Anonymous said...

Blessings Kelly and Krystle we are enjoying the blogs and are totally enjoying your insight into a culture that is so different from ours. God is amazing,our prayers are with you, and maythe God of the Universe continue to reveal Himself to you!! Love The Reyhl's

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly and Krystle! Wow, that had to be alittle scary! You should be proud of big brother even though it seems the guys didn't get the hint. Showing God's love all the time is difficult. But Jesus set the example for all of us. So proud of you for the way you handled it. Rob Rob is very busy tell him we said hi and we miss him and everyone bunches. Keep your head up and stay encouraged and get some rest. Miss you love you until next time. May God bless you and continue to watch over you! Germaine