Saturday, March 28, 2009

Mountain



Most of the team walked up the mountain for a morning tour with Robinson. Rick told me it really helped clear things up. They stopped by George’s (our night guard at the property) house and that was a revelation. George has 4 kids, his wife and himself. They all stay in a 6’ x 6’ single room house. It’s hard when you only see them show up for church because they come in the best they have. It’s funny, on my trips here I have begun to recognize many, and often those church clothes are the same ones every time they show up. It’s all they have that is good. Getting up to the mountain today helped reveal the true poverty of these people. I think the team all came away with a different appreciation for the circumstances of every day life here in Haiti. We have done our best to experience their way of life. That is what my goal is. So they are all dealing with certain hardships, but trust me, we are still living like Kings compared to these people, and even Robinson and his family when we walk away. They eat better, have gas and electricity when we are here. When we leave they go back to much less. I would love to change that more, but all in God’s time. The flywheel key-shaft had sheared yesterday on the pump motor when the rod broke, and I missed it until I checked on the internet last night. Rob and I ran out early and found the new key-shaft and Bob reinstalled the flywheel and the motor runs great. We drilled until noon, we are down 50’ with our rods. Getting the casing and couplings, especially the couplings is proving to be a little difficult. But we will see. I am delighted with how far we have been able to get in the midst of these circumstances. We will forge ahead and see what God has in store. I am really happy because no matter what happens now, the guys are set to be able to drill more wells because I have the system all put together again! Plus I have found a small engine mechanic who will be able to fix most anything. They will be able to drill now and make some money. With all this work, I have to tell you that back in the States with my equipment, this well would have been done in 4 hours total, pump and all. But not here and not the way we are having to do it. I have regained a lot of appreciation for the well rigs and machinery we have back home. The little girl you see posted here is a mountain girl that showed up at the property early in our trip. Everyone was taken with her as the stark signs of starvation were written all over her. Her hair is orange from the terrible lack of nutrition. Beth couldn’t take it, and begged Robinson to let her get her some food. He broke down and let her. Generally he won’t, not because he is hard, but because the mountain is full of these children, and to feed one is to bring the masses, and we can’t handle the masses. It’s so sad and brings one’s heart to a breaking point. Dawn Brown is right, this is a place of extraordinary joy and shattering sorrow. I promised pictures last night, Lauren got a few on before my machine went dead. We have struggled with having power this trip, so that has complicated aspects of our trip as well, but it’s good for the team to experience. Trust me, they are getting a lot of unique experiences. There will be a bucket of laughs for them to share with family and friends when they get back. Our nightcaps have become quite a festive rendezvous. Great laughter and celebration of our humanness. Bugs, bathrooms, air mattresses, changing stations, and all under one roof makes for some pretty memorable bonding. The young people have been a delight! Blessings until later.

No comments: