Monday, December 8, 2008

Embargo


I can hardly believe we are back on the road again to St. Marc. Twice in two months. If you would have told me at the start of this year that I would make not one, but two trips into Haiti, I would have laughed you away! This is no laughing matter:-). But God goes before us, and here we are. We have completed the first leg of the journey of trip number two. We are now in a Comfort Inn in Chicago, just 2 miles from the O'Hara airport. The alarm is set for 3:30 a.m. We are praying for good flights and smooth transactions through customs and security tomorrow.
Our difficulty recently has been the rude discovery that there is a travel embargo into Haiti through Christmas. It wouldn't be such a big deal had it been disclosed at the time of our ticket purchase, but it wasn't. So we scrambled late last week to get suitcases, the only thing allowed for travel right now, (not our customary bins) and no extra bags or over sized stuff as well. Needless to say, a few things had to be left behind. I was a bit chagrined, until God reminded me that He knew all about the embargo, and it's not out of His control. It was also a reminder that when you set about to do good, that doesn't necessarily mean all will go smoothly, rather the opposite can happen. It can seem that the good backfires. But not to fear, when you forge ahead, sometimes in blind faith, (that is a step into territory where you cannot see but have to hold to God's hand) you find a path that you did not know was there! And what a blessing suddenly arrives at your doorstep. I am hoping for the best, but know the enemy will fight, he does not like what is happening for the kingdom! So pray with us.
So here comes the blessings, even when we think no good can come, we pulled into the hotel tonight weary and worn, and behold we gained an hour! Now that may seem small to you, but to a tired pastor and family, packing nightly late into the early morning hours, and extra hour of sleep is HUGE! I locked myself out of the truck for the second time in 4 days this morning, rear ended a fellow pulling out of Staples, couldn't find several things I needed, but God worked it all out. So tonight I will sleep in His peace, knowing that the people I go to serve tomorrow would gladly exchange places and hardships with me because my problems pale in comparison to theirs. Behold the change perspective brings. My heart will rejoice, I go to claim new territory for the Kingdom of Christ. Thanks for your prayers, I will post as often as I get a chance. Love and Blessings to all.

No comments: