Saturday, October 18, 2008

Lizard


What a day so far. Ran out of running water halfway through Beth's shower this morning. I already had mine. Hehe! They are trying to get more pumped up to the tank. I'm sure that will be a whole day operation. What a hard country. Yesterday Naromie did our laundry with another woman in the church and it took them all day. I got up this morning and put on my same clothes from yesterday. Ladies, you've got to love your washing machines. Even if you have to go to the laundramat. Unbeleivable. What we take for granted. We will stretch our wardrobe, hoping to ease the burden of their work.
But to return to lizards. We started out moving rocks and leveling dirt at the property this morning. We had just gotten started when a 9" lizard sprang out. When Krystle saw it jumping around she reacted in a very feminine fashion to the delight of our on lookers. A bit later I dug up another one and tried to push him to safety. However one of the guys ahead of me quickly put an end to him. It reminded me again of the difference in our cultures, and I had to chuckle. Life on some levels is not sacred here. A hard country puts out hard people. It does not afford the same luxuries of thought processes. That is where cultural differences show up. But I admire their stamina, and respect their views. Even if it was the end of the poor lizard. Time for lunch. Running again. Love to all.

4 comments:

Lynn G. said...

Kel - this is my favorite post so far. I laughed right out loud. The authenticity that came through was life-changing and hilarious! Very well written. Tell Bethie I love her and Krystle that I'm so proud of her and of her very "feminine" reaction to the lizard. :) I would have reacted similarly for sure. I think it is so amazing that you're getting to experience a new culture and a new way of thinking. If only all of us could have such an experience....perhaps we could truly learn to LOVE the way we long to. Have a great day and know you are all loved and being prayed for constantly.

snowyangel622 said...

as i sat here and read your posting i found myself laughing but my mind drifted to krystle, was helping her. have a safe and good day.all in my prayers, love you all.Rekah

Gallo Family said...

Oh that was great! Sorry for your woman's luck today! :) I'm sure the onlookers were entertained by Krystle. we're praying the tent will be there Monday! have a great service tomorrow... I'll be excited to hear all about it! Love to you all.... and Robrob and Naromi also

popsmdj said...

Absolutely enjoy your posts...sent 2 today & didn't go..so will try now. Dad home today..had errands so been gone myself some. Girls ready to come & see all of us-praying for you also. Tent & tomorrow's services on our hearts. Miss you all-hugs for you, Beth Jo, K & K, Rob & N. & all their kids there. Lots of Love to Church Family there. Dad/Mom P.